|Location: Kampala, Uganda|
University Research Co., LLC (URC)
Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical assistance to strengthen health and social systems and service quality by empowering communities and health workers to identify and scale up locally appropriate solutions to critical problems. Internationally, we expand access to and improve the quality of services addressing maternal, newborn, and child health; infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; food and nutrition; and vulnerable children and families. In the US, we focus on improving communication related to issues like substance abuse, with a particular focus on reaching underserved populations.
URC’s mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide. Please join us in carrying out our mission (http://www.urc-chs.com/).
Division & Project Overview:
Roles and Responsibilities:
Required Experience & Qualifications
Desired Experience & Qualifications
Please note: Only candidates who are eligible to work in Uganda for an indefinite period without a need for sponsorship will be considered for this position.
You must upload your CV/Résumé and your Cover Letter where indicated. Also, please complete your application form and attach a completed USAID Form 1420 Contractor Employee Biographical Data Sheet as well.
Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted. No phone calls please. However, since we are active around the world in the field of public health, we may wish to retain your CV in our database for other/future opportunities, unless you direct us otherwise. Thank you very much for your interest.
MakSPH-CTCA is searching for an Administrator for a research project Administrator on TB- Tobacco integration using mHealth approach. This position serves as the key link for the project team and project partners. This position will provide the research Team administrative support to ensure smooth implementation of the research project.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide overall administrative support to the project, working closely to support the project coordinator
- Arrange and secure logistics for project activities
- Monitor the budget expenditure in close collaboration with the project coordinator
- Ensure proper accountability of all funds dispatched.
- Support the research team in undertaking procurements, contract drafting, MoU drafting and other financial modalities.
- Draft project financial requests in time
- Ensure logistical preparation and readiness of research team in case of field activities.
- Work with the FMU to draft financial reports as required by the accounting cycle.
- Support the coordinator in communication of related activities.
- Lead the organization of team meetings and workshops as requested by the coordinator.
- Maintenance of proper study accounts and records (computerized and manual) related to budget, receipts and payments.
- In collaboration with the Principal Investigator, ensure reconciliation of the expenditures and budget lines on a quarterly basis
- In collaboration with the Principal Investigator, ensure that all services provided to the study are paid for.
- In collaboration with the Principal Investigator, ensure inventory and supplies control.
- Ensure high degree of confidentiality as regards research records
- Ensure that all project properties are secure, in good condition and used only for project work
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
The required candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of a University degree from a recognized university
- At least 2 years of work experience in a similar organization.
- Experience in working with a research organization for at least 2 years
- Experience in basic financial accounting, human resource management, procurement, research and records keeping.
An attractive salary commensurate to the experience and qualifications will be offered
Research Project Overview
MakSPH-CTCA in collaboration with Ministry of Health Uganda, East Tennessee State University and WHO are implementing an implementation Science Research project to integrate tobacco cessation services into TB programs using mHealth specifically text messages. The goal of the project is to use mHealth solutions to integrate tobacco control into TB programmes to improve TB treatment outcomes in Uganda. The primary objective is to support TB patients to quit tobacco use. The secondary objectives are: a) To train health workers on mHealth solutions for TB-Tobacco integration; b) To assess the period that participants take to quit tobacco use; c) To support TB patients to adhere to TB treatment. This is a 3-year project that will be implemented in hospitals in Uganda.
To apply for this position please submit in confidence a resume and a cover letter that details why you are a good fit for this career position to firstname.lastname@example.org, copy email@example.com
Timelines: Deadline is March 27th, 2017
Assists in coordinating staff travels within the country. He / She receives Travel request forms and follows on accommodation arrangements
Background: The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 40 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief. In Uganda, DRC works in North, North-Western, South-Western and North-Eastern regions in a range of emergency and development support for refugees and displacement-affected communities(for more information go to http://www.drc.dk)). Purpose The purpose of this position is to manage assistance to staff as they carry out their routine activities. The front desk assistant position is also meant to generally manage assistance for DRC guests and other stakeholders. Key Responsibilities Assists in coordinating staff travels within the country. He / She receives Travel request forms and follows on accommodation arrangements Manages assistance for all guests including staff and all the other stake holders. Manages the central mailing book for Kampala office ensuring that all incoming and outgoing mail is correctly recorded. Provides logistical support for office meetings and workshops. Maintains an updated contact list Organizing and scheduling appointments. Receiving phone calls at the office. Ensures that there is always tea, coffee and drinking water available at the office Takes minutes for Kampala office meetings as required and compiles minutes from all locations and submits to Administrative officer by Wednesday of every week. Assists with HR filing as requested by HR officer. Displays necessary notices and memos on the office Notice board. Provides clerical support to all staff when required The responsibilities mentioned above are not exhaustive and other work can be required depending on operational needs. This job description defines the guiding rules and principles specific to the post which must be respected when carrying out the above mentioned tasks and responsibilities. Reporting Arrangements Reports to the Administrative officer based in Kampala.
Essential: Educational qualification in Business Administration or management with at least 2 years work experience in Administration preferably with INGOs Proficiency in MS office and attention to detail. Knowledge of administrative practices and procedures. Good working knowledge of office procedures and office management. Strong organizational skill with ability to multitask. Flexibility and adaptability Able to maintain confidentiality. Fluent in written and spoken English. Competencies Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours. Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player. Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor. Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels.
How to apply: Applications should be in English and include the following: A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and salary expectations. Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references. The application should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and the subject line should read Front Desk Office Assistant Kampala.
The deadline for submission of applications is the 27th January 2017.
* We thank applicants for their interest in the position however; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract: 12 Months Renewable
Date: 19 December 2016
Application Deadline: 15 January 2017
(9 day(s) until closing deadline)
Currently accepting applications
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
* Purpose of the Position
As Secretary the incumbent will ensure the smooth flow of work as related to clerical activities, coordinating actions with other support staff in the team and in consultation and collaboration with the Assistant to the WHO Representative.
* Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objectives
Country Office Support Units have been established in the organisational structure to provide support for Managers and staff to fully assume their responsibilities in the GSM environment and to ensure compliance with organizational policies, procedures, rules and regulations on all administrative and financial matters and transactions in the context of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
* Organizational context
The incumbent works on the basis of general instructions, own experience and precedents, following WHO CO-specific procedures and practices, rules and regulations, to ensure smooth work flow in the assigned area of work. The incumbent is encouraged to seek guidance for unusual issues. Most of the work is controlled for correctness and appropriateness by the incumbent. Work is reviewed on an ad hoc basis by supervisors for meeting expectations and overall quality; correspondence is signed or cleared by originator. The incumbent is relied upon to brief colleagues on WCO specific administration procedures and practices.
Under the general supervision of the Operations Officer, the incumbent performs the following functions:
1. Oversee and monitor the information flow, screening, sorting and analyzing, identifying areas which need action.
2. Receive visitors and telephone calls with tact and discretion and acts according to the nature and urgency of each including redirecting as appropriate.
3. Provide background information for appointments with official visitors and/or staff members.
4. Register, classify and route incoming correspondence, documents and other material.
5. Act as a secretary to the Administration Staff meetings and Local Contracts Review Committee.
6. Track suppliers’ invoices paid and follow-up on receipts for VAT claims.
7. Process requests for office supplies by units/staff, issue and update inventory cards/bins.
8. Support CSU staff on photocopying relevant background and supporting documents, receipts and invoices for managed attachments, suppliers’ evaluations, VAT claims as well as background documents for DI accountabilities.
9. Liaise with suppliers to obtain monthly statements and follow-up on all payments outstanding.
10. In collaboration with CSU staff, monitor deadlines, reminding staff members of pending issues and ensuring that correspondence and queries are responded in a timely manner.
11. Draft general or administrative correspondence on own initiative or on the basis of instructions; finalize correspondence/reports for signature/clearance.
12. Verify that outgoing correspondence is presented in accordance with WHO and department styles and checking language, grammar and accuracy prior to submitting for signature and clearance.
13. Ensure incoming correspondence and requests are in line with instructions, WHO standard rules, practices and procedures; editing and correcting them as necessary in terms of adequacy of supporting documents, background materials, logical flow of information and grammar; prior to their submission for signature or clearance of relevant authority.
14. Maintain filing systems of administrative documents and supplier contracts, ensuring that all activities supported are traceable and accessible as required.
15. Support the organization of team and departmental meetings, workshops, seminars including developing list of participants, preparing letters of invitation, reservation of meeting rooms and hotel accommodation, dispatching of materials and liaising with participants and others involved.
16. Prepare presentations using Power Point and other software packages on own initiative or on the basis of instructions.
17. Schedule weekly tea and ad hoc meetings, according to schedules and need, taking and preparation of minutes.
18. Act on other positions in the CSU department when other colleagues are away.
19. Perform other related duties required or instructed, including providing support to other areas of work.
Achievement Activities Include: Timely and high-quality output and results to support the achievement of the objectives of the unit, and enable effective program implementation in the region.
With whom and for what purpose does the job require contacts?
Within unit/division WHO Representative, Operations Assistant To discuss assignments, obtain and give information, provide support;
Within Organization at duty station Staff at all levels I the CSU, other clusters and departments, and administrative, financial and other services To exchange information as related to travel arrangements, meetings, etc.
Within Organization outside duty station Counterparts in partners Organization/institutions To exchange information as related to travel arrangements, meetings etc.
Outside the Organization Visitors and participants to meetings
To give/obtain information and provide secretarial support during meetings
Essential:- Completion of secondary school education and/or equivalent technical or commercial education.
Desirable:- Training in typing/secretarial tasks and/or in a clerical field is desirable.
Competencies : Generic
*1. Knowing and managing yourself
*2. Producing results
*3. Fosters integration and team work
4. Moving forward in changing environment
Functional Knowledge and Skills:-
The incumbent maintains and updates proficiency in the use of modern office technology through in-house courses, on-the-job training or self-training. He/she keeps abreast of changes in procedures and practices, rules and regulations. Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
Work requires the use of word processing or other software packages, and standard office equipment. Formal or self-training in the use of standard office software. Training in Oracle-based or other ERP systems an asset. Work requires the use of word processing facilities to create, edit, format and print correspondence and documents, spreadsheet and visual presentation software; extensive use of e-mail and scheduling software to improve communication both internally and externally, Oracle/GSM for administrative matters.
At least 2 to 4 years of experience as a professional Secretary.
Desirable:- Experience in administrative support in WHO or another UN agency is an asset.
Working knowledge of French would be an added advantage
TASLAF ADVOCATES &CONSULTANTS is looking for an Assistant in the LITIGATION department. He/she must have spent at least a year working in a busy litigation practice. Interest in litigation is highly desirable.
Send CV and related docs to:
Customer Service, Administration, Human Resources, Marketing, Networks, IT, Legal & Regulatory, Finance, Mobile Money, Enterprise, Sales& Distribution and Supply Chain Management (No experience required)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Apply at the Airtel Website
Tip: You need to have a Linkedin account.
Makerere University Lung Institute (MLI), a new institute at the college of health sciences, whose mission is championing the prevention and control of lung diseases in Uganda and beyond invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for the following posts in its administration department. Interested candidates should submit their applications, Curriculum Vitae, Certificates and Transcripts (3 copies each set) giving full details of applicants’ education, qualifications, work experience, present salary and names of three referees, plus their postal addresses to Office of the Human Resources Officer College of Health Sciences, Administration Block, and addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
P.O. Box 7072
Closing Date: 8th March 2016
Post: Administrative Assistant (1)
Reports to: Director
Main Purpose of the Job
To take charge of administrative function of the Institute and to provide the required logistical support.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with all aspects of administrative management and logistics;
- Plan, Schedule and coordinate meetings, interviews, events, exhibitions and other similar activities;
- Create and maintain electronic and manual records Coordinate repairs and maintenance of office equipment and general cleanliness in the Administration Block;
- Provide secretariat services to the Institute Committee meetings;
- Prepare reports, disseminate information, dispatch minutes, memos and letters;
- Requisition, maintain and account for financial and other resources under his/her care;
- Supervise support staff and ensure harmonious working relationship amongst staff under his/her care;
Minimum academic qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management, SWASA, Public Administration, Organizational Psychology, Management Studies or any relevant course.
- A Post-graduate qualification in Human Resource Management is an added advantage.
Minimum Experience and Exposure
1 years’ experience in logistics management and administration.
- Report writing skills
- Computer skills
- Good attention to detail
- Methodical and thorough approach to work
- Good at juggling tasks and prioritizing
- A great team player
- A desire to show initiative
Terms of Employment: Contract and full time