Job/Work Level (from Taleo)
Department / Function
Corporate Title/Job Grade
Reports into (job title)
At Barclays, we recruit based on merit and are committed to promoting diversity throughout our organisation
Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. With over 300 years of history and expertise in banking, we operate in over 50 countries and employ over 140,000 people.
For further information about Barclays, please visit our website http://www.barclays.com
Overall Role Purpose
Key Accountabilities & approximate time split (&)
To drive and deliver exceptional retail business performance, through the provision of efficient business management, powerful leadership, team development and achievement of operational rigour excellence in branches with up to 25 staff members or branches with single customer categories.
Resources Under Control
For MD/D roles all mandatory fields to be completed (see guidance notes)
Resources (e.g. budget control, size of operations under control)
Decision Authorities – key decision rights that enable the role holder to act with legitimacy and credibility
Authority level and limits (what does the role holder have authority to decide on)
Knowledge and Competence
Technical Experience and Capability
People Management – 30>
- Build and develop a high performing team through embedding performance development and coaching. Ensure that team members receive coaching and feedback in order to develop to achieve their maximum potential.
- Manage the End-to-End PD process
- Recommend reward allocations for all branch staff, including bonus and pay increases.
- Determine and manage Training Needs Analysis and Succession plans for all direct reports.
- Responsible for hiring team members based on short-lists of candidates compiled by HR.
- Responsible for conducting exit interviews for all employee-initiated departures from the bank. Provide results of exit interviews to HR for review and analysis.
- Manage staff attendance levels, including approval of leave. Compile monthly absence statistics (annual leave, sick leave, family responsibility leave, maternity leave, study leave etc), and submit to HR for record keeping.
- Directly responsible for discipline – initiate misconduct or incapacity charges, follow Barclays discipline processes together with HR and an independent chairperson. Build the case files where required.
- Motivate staff and ensure they are recognized through the Barclays Africa recognition schemes.
- Create an empowering environment for branch staff, encouraging individual ownership and initiative.
- Deliver powerful communications with branch colleagues to ensure they understand the vision and goals of the company and of your branch. This will include running team meetings, morning huddles, one to one meetings and written communications
- Create and maintain a succession plan for the branch
- Create an empowering environment for branch staff, encouraging individual ownership and initiative
- Provide mentoring and development opportunities for members of the branch team.
- Provide cover for Branch Managers at other outlets when required.
- Provide honest, direct and constructive feedback to others.
- Deputize for Regional Manager if required.
- Share knowledge experience and best practice with team members and other branch manage.
- Accountable for the delivery of outstanding customer experience through service and sales within their branch
- Regularly present in the banking hall speaking to customers and understanding their questions and needs
- Monitor the customer satisfaction results of the branch collected through various methods (surveys, touchpads etc). Establish targets for improvement and action plans to ensure customer satisfaction is continually improving.
- Ensure that branch staff own and manage customer queries and complaints by taking ownership and resolving in a timely manner. Act as the escalation point for their unresolved queries and complaints.
- Build relationships with key customers, clients and businesses within the branch locality
- Understand fully the Barclays product on offer, and makes suggestions to product teams around changes and enhancements to products.
- Implements new product sets with assistance from specialist product managers and ensures all staff are fully aware and knowledgeable about product features and benefits
- Drive customer focused behaviour in the branch by role modelling great customer service
- Ensure that merchandising materials are displayed in accordance with guidelines and is useful to customers
- Review and provide feedback on SLA’s with internal service providers
- Through effective banking hall management ensure that customers are directed to the most appropriate service delivery channel to meet their need e.g. cashiers, drop boxes ATM’s etc.
- Manage remote and manual authorizations, by assigning responsibility for authorizers, and personally authorizing high-value transactions, to ensure efficient counter service.
- Interact regularly with internal service providers (e.g. Operations, KYC Helpdesk) to ensure fast and efficient service to customers.
- Interview all customers who want to close their accounts because of poor service or high tariffs to determine the root cause and to attempt to retain.
Risk, Governance and Regulatory
- Ensure compliance with operations risk and rigour requirements e.g. Health & Safety standards, security of premises, KYC and Anti-Money Laundering measures.
- Ensure that all staff in the branch adhere to all Barclays Information Security policies and procedures through regular communication to staff and spot checks.
- Review results of snap checks and progress on action plans.
- Conduct regular quality checks on all processes, focusing on transactions with high financial levels and operational risks of the process, including Branch Crisis Management, systems, reviewing control reports, etc.
- Ensure that all Barclays Africa procedures are followed through regular communication to staff and spot checks.
- Report all incidents within the branch in line with the bank’s incident reporting procedures
- Systems administration (user maintenance) in conjunction with the Branch Operations Manager
- Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards. Understand and manage risks and risk events (incidents) relevant to the role.”
Financial Management Control and Analysis
- Accountable for achieving annual sales targets as cascaded from the Area Manager. Monitoring of progress towards achieving targets is done on a regular basis, at least monthly.
- The Branch manager is also responsible for maintaining a healthy balance sheet in the branch i.e. ensuring the assets on the books of the branch are performing to expected standards, that low quality assets are kept to a minimum and that the earnings contribution of the branch is within acceptable levels.
- Even though the branch manager may not be the cost centre owner directly, the incumbent is responsible for strict cost management in that branch i.e. reviewing all service provider quotations before the work can proceed. In addition, the branch manager is expected to conduct detailed analysis, on a monthly basis, of the following cost elements:
- -Overtime approvals
- -Equipment maintenance
- -Stationary consumption/telephones etc.
- -Sundry losses
- -Staff costs
- Active involvement and accountability for making purchase/ refund business decisions within set limits e.g. Sundry loss, Potential Loss Accounts (PLA), customer refunds. Can approve release of deceased funds within predetermined limit.
- Be involved in local community events and networking opportunities (e.g. clubs, meetings, business associations)
- Developing the external market and community profile needed to maximize the local marketing opportunity
- Identify community initiatives to become involved in and support as part of Barclays community initiatives (such as Make a Difference Day, Local community initiative, Financial Literacy)
- Link community initiatives to both business opportunities and colleague events
- Promote community agenda within the branch to build pride within colleagues and customers
Key Success Measures / Key Performance Indicators
- Experience and Qualifications
- People Management
- Coaching and training skills
- Strong communication and Presentation
- Business Management/Financial Management
- Performance Management
- Resource Management
- Cultural and Change Management
- PC Skills
- Decision-making skills
- Knowledge & Expertise:
- In-depth knowledge of the full Barclays Retail product set, Local Business services and an overview of Corporate Business services, including Treasury.
- An understanding of technical support systems e.g. Flexcube, Sybrin
- Understanding of Barclays Retail strategy, operating structure and interface with other functions
- Good understanding of Risk and Credit policies and procedures
- Detailed understanding of people policies and procedures
- Up to date knowledge of competitor and market activity in local area
- Experience & Qualifications:
- Graduate or relevant experience to compensate
- At least 3 years Retail supervisory experience
- Resource management
- Brand and Leadership Development
- Performance Management
- Team building
- Recruitment Skills
- PD Team Leader
- Sales management
- Conflict Management
- Time Management
- Effective Coaching
- Leading and Rewarding Performance
- Presentation skills
- Situational leadership
- Manpower planning
- Managing for Value (Financial Management)
- First degree or diploma or relevant experience in a front-line banking sales/marketing/service environment
- Competitor product sales experience and Operational Awareness
To apply, Click HERE