SmartCook Energy is a venture-backed technology and research company that leverages existing downstream oil
infrastructure to deliver a proven and profitable new liquid cooking fuel in Africa’s largest cities, enabling the
conversion of part of the $10-15 billion charcoal and kerosene market to a sustainable modern fuel.
SmartCook is in the process of technology and market development with offices in Nairobi and Kampala building
both hardware & software technologies to enable distribution and use of the cheaper, cleaner, convenient and more
Systems & Field Engineer:
SmartCook has a growing technology development team based in Nairobi with partners in India, Europe and the US.
Our methodology is based on an agile, iterative approach that allows us to build, test, deploy and learn from the
insights gained at each step & build them into the next iteration. A considerable amount of hardware and software
functionality has been developed & successfully deployed in the field in Nairobi and Kampala.
Our technology development team is based in Nairobi, but will need to expand to other locations in order to support
pilot & test deployments. In these locations we require systems & field engineers with the following skillset &
● Ability to work autonomously and think on your feet
● Excellent observational skills and a forward thinking / planning attitude
● Excellent communication skills
● Interest in the customer experience and user journey of products
● Keen eye for safety
Specific engineering skills:
● Background / training in electronics
● At ease with simple electronics & systems debugging
● Software development skills would be useful, in particular embedded systems (C / Arduino) & Android app
● Ability to support remote problemshooting & investigate issues in a systematic way.
Position timeframe requirements:
● Role to start late December 2015 / early January 2016
● Full time
● Occasional travel to Nairobi or within East Africa may be required.
Please send CV & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Systems & Field Engineer